I’m Janene Mascarella, a freelance journalist living in the NY area with two amazing children and a husband who had no idea he married Mrs. (Always) Write! I'm a lifestyle writer who frequently covers travel, beauty, health, personal finance and parenting topics. (Hey, that just about covers everything, doesn't it?)
My work has been published in The Washington Post, CNN Money, Self, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Newsday, Cooking Light, Women's Health, Woman's Day, USA TODAY, Weight Watchers, BabyTalk, Parenting, Parents, Family Circle, AARP Bulletin, Arthritis Today, Scholastic Parent & Child, American Baby, American Way, Parade, Fodorís Travel, iVillage, Salon City, Shop Etc., Sweet 16, Relate, NY Metro Parent, Parent Society, BELLANYC.com. Mint.com, AOL Travel, WalletPop, Currency, AOL Real Estate, Kaboose.com, Everyday Health and many others. I'm also the Parenting and Family Life columnist for the Long Island Exchange and the beauty editor of BELLA NYC magazine.
Thanks for dropping by!
Yep, for the last three years I have been BELLA NYC’s beauty editor and I’m very happy to have been recently named the publication’s new BEAUTY DIRECTOR. (Yeah!) In addition to overseeing 13 pages of beauty per issue (that’s a lot of gloss right there!), I also have a new¬† 2 page column for the magazine titled “AGENDA” where I give readers the scoop on the latest and greatest things to do in the NYC area each issue. Below are some clips of the January issue and here’s a bulleted list of my latest writing developments.
- I write ¬†a¬†popular weekly beauty column for Parade Magazine: ¬†http://www.parade.com/member/janenemascarella/
- I write a weekly CURRENT OBSESSION column¬†where I spotlight and gush over ¬†lust-worthy items covering¬†beauty, travel, technology…you name it!
- I just¬† got assigned another fun essay for an upcoming issue of¬†Cosmopolitan Magazine. (They’re my favorite to write!) If you want to take a look at the essay I wrote for Cosmo’s October issue, scroll down to a previous post or check out My Portfolio Page
- I have a beauty¬†feature in the¬†March issue of Consumer Report’s ShopSmart Magazine–¬†”Beauty 911″¬† pages 63-65 ¬†(Another¬† beauty feature¬†will be appear in the April issue as well!)
- I’m writing a DIY¬† feature for a USA Today specialty magazine. On newsstands in March 25
- My travel guide for USA Today is still on newsstands in the “Best of New York” publication.
- My family travel feature appeared in the holiday issue of Scholastic Parent & Child.¬† Here’s the online version: ‚ÄúEasy Holiday Travel‚ÄĚ
- Cision interviewed me this month about my writing career. You can check it out—> HERE
- I was interviewed LIVE on the radio.¬† I chatted with WTMJ¬†and offered my expert tips on ¬†create the “PERFECT SELFIE”! You can listen to the¬†¬†interview¬† RIGHT HERE
It’s been a busy and productive month! Oh and here are just a few recent clips of my work and you can view more of my work on My Portfolio Page
For the October issue of Scholastic Parent & Child, I wrote a feature about to solve¬† all kinds Halloween drama…tricky situations¬†followed by¬†scary-easy advice on how to solve them.
Full clip below and here’s the online version:
I love the fall. Lots going on so I’ll get right to it.
PARADE!!! I’ll be writing a weekly beauty column for Parade! Very excited about this–it’s such a well-known publication and I’m thrilled to be writing for them. I¬†set up¬†shop in the¬†Health & Beauty section–answering all your burning beauty questions. If something keeps you up at night (like ‘which is stronger; Mega-hold or Ultra-hold?’) feel free to send me your question. I may not have the slightest idea (hahaha) but I’ll find an expert who does. :)¬† For a my latest posts, please take a peek –> HERE
In other news…it’s a big month! My work is in the October print issues of
Bella NYC Magazine¬†(I’m the beauty editor and I produce about 6-8 page of beauty each issue. Love this publication!)
Cosmopolitan Magazine¬†(Fun. See post below!)
Scholastic Parent & Child ( I have a feature solving all kinds of Halloween drama..)
I will also be a weekly writer for Parent Society! More to come about that…
Oooh, and I also write a weekly CURRENT OBSESSIONS column for BELLA MYC Magazine, where I go gaga over all kinds of things. Filed under: Janene’ Obsessions
USA TODAY‘s glossy magazine “BEST YEARS” (the fall/winter 2013 issue) I have a 6-page style feature (!!) on pages 22-27 and a beauty article on page 8. (See below!)
Aw, my 1st COSMO coverline! (Sorry JLo for writing on your belly but I‚Äôm kind of excited!)
So yeah, my essay is in the October (SEXY POWER issue) of Cosmopolitan magazine—> In the Hot & Healthy section, page 218
In it, I‚Äôm revealing¬†how Zumba Fitness¬†really shook things up under the sheets for me.¬†I went from being totally intimidated to try it…to¬†the class hotsy totsy!¬†¬†From the very first time I walked into Kristi Tramposch‘s class at Evolusion Fitnesss¬†I felt things change….the way I saw working out, the way I saw my own body.¬† (Kristi strikes the perfect balance between cute and sexy and she’s rather amazing!) I still go regularly and I’m reaping the rewards. I walk out of class feeling a little hotter and healthier each time. (Not to mention I stand directly in front of the ceiling fan, let it blow up my hair and secretly pretend the class is a music video STARRING ME, and the other students are my¬† (completely unsuspecting) backup dancers.
Hopefully, my journey to hottness will not make you squirm or roll your eyes. (You’ll most likely laugh!) It‚Äôs actually opposite of that you‚Äôre expecting of a Cosmo article‚Ä¶ and is all about empowerment and truly feeling comfortable in your own skin. Look for it on newsstands, like, everywhere. Or read it here, alongside my Pre-Zumba class¬†selfie …(you may have to click twice on the article image to read it)
Some exciting news: In addition to all the fab publications¬†I already write for,¬† starting this fall I’ll be contributing to USA TODAY, Scholastic Parent & Child and Cosmopolitan Magazine. (An interesting mix of titles and topics!)
I frequently write health features for Newsday. Here are my latest:
- Nonsurgical fat removal, the ‘next frontier’ in cosmetic surgery¬†¬†¬†¬† Freezing it away is one of the hot, new methods of slimming down…
- Delaying motherhood? What you should know In the realm of birth statistics, delaying motherhood stands out….
- Running into injury¬†¬†¬†No doubt about it: Running works. It’s good for the heart, tones muscles, helps control…
- Yoga offers a litany of health benefits¬†¬†No longer seen as simply a way to stretch and meditate, yoga is being touted…
- Are gel knee injections worth a shot?¬†¬†Injections of gel-like substances may be making inroads into the established arsenal of treatments for…
- Tattoo removal: It’s painful and pricey¬†¬†The uptick in people sporting tattoos seems to have brought with it a boom of…
- What to eat for great skin and hair¬†¬†Pricey products that promise clear, radiant skin and strong, shiny hair fill store shelves, but…
- Turning prime time into workout time¬†¬†¬† If you simply can’t miss the latest episode of your favorite TV show but also…
I haven’t updated my site in so long! Promise to scan my latest¬† print clips and¬† revamp this site real soon. This month has been crazy. Good crazy. Here’s what I’ve got brewing …
Newsday: I report on a health topic about once a month. So far I have covered:¬† 1. how althletes avoid injury, 2. the benifits of yoga, 3. knee gel injections, 4. how to remove a tattoo, 5. fitness moves you can do at home, 6. the best foods to eat to get glowing skin, and others.¬† You can take a peek¬†at my Newsday articles¬†right here.
Fodors Travel: I’m the health/beauty travel blogger.¬†¬†My latest:
How to Look Good on the Go¬†(a roundup of¬†fab beauty products to keep you from, well…¬†looking like your passport photo!)
How to Beat Jetlag and Get Your Beauty Sleep¬†(expert tips on how to catch your zzz’s when you’re far from home)
Olympics-Themed Getaways¬†(three thrilling Olympics-inspired trips you won’t have to train for)
Top Fitness Picks for Travelers¬†(¬†eight fabulous fitness finds worthy of a spot in your suitcase and on your itinerary)
Parenting magazine: ¬† I’ll have articles in the next 3-4 issues.¬† My recent essay for Parenting “Why Women Lie” landed¬† out becoming the subject of a Today Show segment and was covered by CNN.¬† Many of my past articles for Parenting are below.
Are Grandparents Giving Too Much?¬†Twenty-five percent of grandparents have spent $1,000 or more on their grandkids in the past year.
The Benefits of Older Parents¬†More people are becoming parents in their late 30s and 40s and are finding that there are surprising benefits in older pregnancy
Why Women Lie to Their Kids¬†One mom explains why parents lying to their children is nothing new–and why it won’t stop any time soon
I’m the beauty editor for BELLA and I produce the ‘Beauty Breakthroughs” section in each issue–about 5-7 pages of beauty tips, product roundups, spotlights and more.¬† For example:
For the current May/June issue I also wrote a feature profiling four savvy biz owners who had the courage to take a “Leap of Faith”.
For the summer issue, I rounded up the NYC area’s¬† best wining and dining hotspots: BELLA’s BEST
Update: I’ll be blogging for BELLA weekly about my “Current Obsessions”.¬† For instance, here’s my “tech” obsession. Stay tuned for my weekly obessions covering trends, fashion, fitness, gadgets, snacks, beauty, tech…just about anything I find love-worthy!
Long Island Pulse: I write beauty reviews in each issue. Spray tanning, facials, waxing, nail trends, hair treatments–ah, all in the name of beauty!
Long Island Resturant News:¬†Another fun feather to add to my cap–resturant reviwer.¬† My most recent reviews: Nisen in Commack, ¬†Mirabelle in Stony Brook¬†and Vittorio’s Resturant & Wine Bar in Amityville.
CBS’s “Mancave Daily”: Here’s my personality page for the site. I’m doing a beauty+brains series plus a lot of fun lifetyle roundups such as: